Kathy Pike is an advocate for equine intelligence and the founder of The Academy for Coaching with Horses. She is a speaker, coach, artist, nature lover, new thought leader, and an internationally published author. Her books include:
- Life Lessons from the Heart of Horses: How Horses Teach Us about Relationships and Healing, April 2021
- Horse Spirits Speak: On Love, Presence, and Harmony in a Chaotic World, March 2020, available in Polish 2021.
- Hope from the Heart of Horses: How Horses Teach Us About Presence, Strength and Awareness, 2009, available in both English and Dutch.
- Pathways to a Radiant Self: A Journey of Growth and Discovery with the Chakras, 2001
- Kathy was the co-founder and visionary behind the Horse as Teacher book series, featuring two books each with ten contributing authors: The Path to Authenticity and The Path to Relationships.
As a pioneer in the field of Equine Facilitated Learning and Coaching (EFLC), Kathy has taught EFLC Certification Programs worldwide. Her work has reached over 25 countries as she has trained others to employ Horse as a guide and mentor for the human heart and spirit.
Kathy’s compassionate, intuitive, and cutting edge approach provides her clients access to their deepest level of truth, power, and ability to live with purpose and passion. Kathy developed and teaches a unique coaching model called the Mind Body Method Coaching. Three powerful coaching models within this system are used and taught in her coaching and on-site programs with horses.
Kathy’s diverse approach to accessing human potential has grown from her experience as a coach trainer for CoachU, a corporate trainer, a teacher at the Boulder College of Massage Therapy, and ten years working in the healing arts as a massage and polarity therapist. Kathy has spoken at several International Coach Federation (ICF) conferences as well as several regional and local organizations.
During her 20’s and 30’s, Kathy spent extensive time in the wilderness. Running rivers in Alaska and the Grand Canyon, rock climbing the mountains of the west, skiing the backcountry of Utah, windsurfing in Hood River, and biking remote parts of Utah and Europe provided her ample experiences in nature. Living in the woods and remote locations for long periods of time provided her the ability to be attuned to the subtleties, complexities, and rhythms of nature. During this time she developed a deep respect for mother earth, the four elements, and all creatures. All of her experiences in the areas of life coaching, outdoor adventure, and healing modalities created a perfect foundation for her journey and work with horses.
When Kathy is not traveling, teaching, or coaching you will find her dancing with her wild mustang, Corazon, talking with her horse Moon, or riding on the Colorado mountain trails with her flashy and kind mare Diva. She enjoys painting, yoga, cooking, and hiking with her sensitive and energetic canine companion, Inkie.
- How Horses Help Humans Heal and Integrative Riding, Healthy Planet, Summer 2007
- The Language of Equus Emotions and Energy, Holistic Horse, Spring 2007
- Staying Grounded, Connections, Fall 2006
- Create Your Life’s Theme, Massage Magazine, Sept/Oct 2005
- Curiosity Creates Connections, Massage Magazine, July/August 2004
- The Vital Energy of your Business, Massage Magazine, March/April 2004,
- How to Stay Grounded, Massage Therapy Journal, Winter 2004
Certifications and Studies:
- T-Team with Linda Tellington-Jones, 2010
- Epona Approved Instructor – Equine Experiential Learning (EEL) through Linda Kohanov and Kathleen Barry Ingram, Epona Equestrian Services, 2005
- Level One EAGALA, Equine Assisted Growth and Learning Association, 2004
- PSYCH-K Basic and Advanced Certification, Larry Valmore, 2004-2005
- CoachU, Graduate and Teleclass Leader, 1998-2003
- Coaches Clinic, Certified Facilitator for Corporate Training, CoachU
- Polarity Therapy, John Chitty, Colorado School of Energy Studies, 1997
- Massage Therapy, Heartwood Institute, Garberville, California, 1993
- University of Utah, Fine Arts, 1986
- Morris Animal Foundation
- Synovia Associates
- Women’s Vision Foundation
- Tony Robbins Coaching Group
- Dalby Wealth Group
- MicroSoft Systems
- International Coach Federation (ICF)
- ICF regional coaching organizations in Portland, Oregon, Indianapolis,
Indiana, Minneapolis, Minnesota, Denver and Boulder, Colorado
- Boulder Chamber of Commerce
- Naropa School of Extended Studies
- Boulder College of Massage Therapy
- Mountain Shadows Montessori School
Personal Note From Kathy
Through several serendipitous experiences in my life, I began to learn about how horses think, how they handle their energy and how they communicate with each other. I began to understand and approach horses from a different perspective.
I began to use this new knowledge and my emotional responses with horses as an important part of my process and development. I learned how to track and acknowledge my energy and emotions. It was apparent that it mattered much more “who” I was, than the “what or how” of my actions. I practiced being fully congruent and authentic, both emotionally and mentally, in the presence of a horse. Slowly I recognized and experienced them on a cellular level. I learned new ways of respecting these magnificent creatures.
This level of presence and awareness grew from the Mind Body MethodTM coaching models I developed before horses came into my life. It has now become the foundation of my work with horses and the process is part of what I teach in my EFLC Certification program.
Experiencing the potential of horses as teachers came to me in my first round pen experience with a “natural” horseman. The realization of how I was trying to communicate and connect with the horse but was failing to do so was instant and profound. This one experience changed how I communicate with horses and with all beings that I viewed as more powerful than myself. In one moment I learned how to be fully powerful, without overpowering another or becoming powerless myself. I quickly saw how this work could benefit clients in my life coaching practice.
Healing experiences with horses are plentiful and I have continued to bond deeply with them in my life. I feel blessed to have had ten years of healing experience in my background and to see how these philosophies transfer to the horse. Clients have also been blessed with such experiences. It is not uncommon for tears of joy, sadness, or inner power to flow. It is not uncommon for people to call me a few days later and say “Thank you, this experience changed my life.” To be fully present and communicate with a 1000 pound, powerful, sensitive animal is truly indescribable.
My own experiences with horses changed my life. I experienced a deeper connection with my own body and developed an ability to ground my power and speak my truth. I developed the skill to be authentic with my feelings in my relationships with others. I now honor my gut feelings and intuition about situations, agreements, and partnerships I am considering. In addition, I experienced a tremendous increase in my creative expression. For the first time in my life, I began to paint large abstracts, something I longed to do for many years. I moved from living in my head to living and moving forward from the heart. I returned to a more authentic me, me without an underlying current of anxiety or fear.
In all of my years working with people I feel blessed and honored to witness their growth, and the willingness they have to live life fully and to know themselves deeply. I am humbled to travel throughout the world offering this work and to have the horses participate in it with me. Their beauty, strength, honesty, curiosity and grace amaze me every day.
My life is dedicated to helping people evolve and heal, and to reach their fullest potential, as well as to help horses be recognized and respected as powerful teachers. All of my services are designed with this intention. I am an advocate for equine intelligence!
I invite you to join me for an extraordinary way of living, to receive the wisdom horses have to offer us and reconnect with yourself through a spiritual experience.